Improvements and Changes to deploying applications to staging

Aki Braun aki at mozillafoundation.org
Wed Jun 18 11:00:41 PDT 2014

I know I said this to you privately, JP, but I want to make sure it’s on the record: You are a wizard and I appreciate you. This is fantastic.

Cheers,

Aki Braun | @gesa
Developer, The Mozilla Foundation

From: JP Schneider jp at mozillafoundation.org
Reply: JP Schneider jp at mozillafoundation.org
Date: June 17, 2014 at 10:50:45 PM
To: webmaker-dev at mozilla.org webmaker-dev at mozilla.org, Team OpenBadges openbadges at mozilla.org, Simon Wex simon at simonwex.com, David Ascher davida at mozillafoundation.org, Mavis Ou mavis at mozillafoundation.org, Erik Christensen erik at mozillafoundation.org, Dan Sinker dan at mozillafoundation.org, Ryan Pitts ryan.a.pitts at gmail.com, Ian Bicking ianbicking at gmail.com
Subject:  Improvements and Changes to deploying applications to staging

Hello there!

Over the last few days, I've been working on tuning up our Jenkins build system and our processes.

There is one significant change you should immediately be aware of.

FOR ALL APPLICATIONS DEPLOYED FROM JENKINS(STATIC SITES EXCLUDED)
You now will notice that the second you git push --tags, Jenkins sees it happen and immediately starts deploying your new version.

For going to staging, you no longer even have to go to Jenkins!!

For applications going to prod, you are still on the hook to login to https://jenkins.mofoprod.net and use the PRODPUSH-app job.

Please do not use PRODPUSH-ROLLBACK jobs for now.

WAITING FOR BUILDS IS BORING, LET'S DO LESS OF IT
You'll notice that some changes we've made on Jenkins has taken staging job builds from ~8 minutes down to ~2-3 minutes, as well as pushing to Prod in ~2.5 minutes.

With ~2000 builds per year, these changes can save us a total of about 7 24-hour days over the next year, leaving more time for other fun stuff.

Happy days,
JP