Improvements and Changes to deploying applications to staging

JP Schneider jp at mozillafoundation.org
Tue Jun 17 20:50:42 PDT 2014

Hello there!

Over the last few days, I've been working on tuning up our Jenkins build
system and our processes.

There is one significant change you should immediately be aware of.

*FOR ALL APPLICATIONS DEPLOYED FROM JENKINS(STATIC SITES EXCLUDED)*
You now will notice that the second you git push --tags, Jenkins sees it
happen and immediately starts deploying your new version.

For going to staging, you no longer even have to go to Jenkins!!

For applications going to prod, you are still on the hook to login to
https://jenkins.mofoprod.net and use the PRODPUSH-app job.

*Please do not use PRODPUSH-ROLLBACK jobs for now.*

*WAITING FOR BUILDS IS BORING, LET'S DO LESS OF IT*
You'll notice that some changes we've made on Jenkins has taken staging job
builds from ~8 minutes down to ~2-3 minutes, as well as pushing to Prod in
~2.5 minutes.

With ~2000 builds per year, these changes can save us a total of about 7
24-hour days over the next year, leaving more time for other fun stuff.

Happy days,
JP