Triage for effective community participation

David Humphrey david.humphrey at senecacollege.ca
Sun Dec 15 07:56:50 PST 2013

One thing I'm seeing in our bugs that I'd like to try and address with
our weekly triage is an accumulation of bugs that are stuck on things like:

a) questions from a (new) dev and then silence from us, missing
b) a new dev not knowing process, and missing a key step, which means
flags don't get set, and the bug sits (e.g., no pull request, or PR not
on bug, or no reviewer set, ...)

To catch these, and in particular to catch them early enough to
intervene and make sure we can help, we're going to have to consider
expanding our triage runs to include bugs that are ASSIGNED and NEW as
well.  We'll have to discuss how to do this well, without swamping
ourselves in too many bugs.  It might mean we use random selection, or
prioritize bugs not assigned to Mozilla staff, etc.

Give it some thought.  We need to get better at supporting the community
in bugs.  A 2014 goal should be that a willing community member can be
effective despite not knowing our process, or getting lost in the
busyness of the rest of what's happening around him/her.

Dave