[webvr] Why does entering VR need to be on user interaction?

Sean McBeth sean.mcbeth at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 01:30:54 UTC 2016

Unfortunately, gamepad buttons don't fire events, you poll for their state
in your animation loop, so you would not be able to trigger requestPresent
using the Vive controller.

There had been some talk in this mailing list (or was it the Slack group?)
previously that "talk about link-traversal" is going on. I think that
conversation is here: https://github.com/w3c/webvr/issues/30.

At the very least, this keeps the BuzzFeeds of the world from popping ads
in our HMDs without our consent.

In the past, to make triggering the event a little easier, I've listened
for the entire window's touchend or mouseup or keyup events. That makes it
a lot easier to trigger when you're wearing an HMD.

*Sean T. McBeth*
Lead VR Engineer
www.notiontheory.com