[webvr] Why does entering VR need to be on user interaction?

Michael Chang flux.blackcat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 02:59:25 UTC 2016

Thanks Kip, those solutions sound pretty good actually.

For this use case, the onvrdisplayactivate event will fire on the page
> after it is loaded with a reason value indicating that there is a VR to VR
> link traversal.  Within this event, the page can enter VR without a user
> interaction as the link traversal itself is sufficient.

So basically, sites which expect to be visited from another VR experience
can check this, and auto-enter VR? That's great. And if the flag is
incorrect, disallow auto-enter VR, right?

Perhaps we could adjust the spec to include refreshing a WebVR site as one
> of the "reason" values that is passed to onvrdisplayactivate...  would that
> solve the issue?

Actually, I think it would solve the issue. The issue, purely from a dev
perspective, is the browser gating me nonsensically *while* developing. It
makes no sense having to be protected by VR ads while I'm developing for VR
content. So, if having to hit "enter VR" for the very first time (and never
again so long as I reload) in a session is a compromise, I'd take it.

Right. Your *current* HMD is hanging around your desk somewhere. But your
> *future* HMDs are probably going to look a lot more like HoloLens: Self
> contained devices with no external monitor. We still want a browser in this
> environment, and we still want WebVR. So now that mildly annoying ad
> doesn't just light up your HMD while you're not wearing it. It takes over
> your entire field of view without your consent and at any moment, and is
> allowed to re-take-over your display repeatedly. Does this still sounds
> like a Bizarro thing to be afraid of?

I get your reasoning Brandon I just don't buy it ;) I guess you're
developing an API for devices which don't exist yet and hey, cool that's
forward thinking. But at the cost of introducing issues *now*, with
existing hardware and software with no work-arounds is a bummer. Even a
flag in chrome that says "I'm an adult I don't care about VR ads" would be
great.