[webvr] Why does entering VR need to be on user interaction?

Brandon Jones bajones at google.com
Wed Sep 21 02:26:07 UTC 2016

Others have already covered the major points, but I wanted to highlight one
thing you said specifically:

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 6:35 PM Michael Chang <flux.blackcat at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I find the whole protecting people from ads in my HMD such a bizarro world
> thing to be afraid of. I have my HMD on my desk or hanging somewhere when
> not using it.. oh no ads are playing there. Why would I care about that?

Right. Your *current* HMD is hanging around your desk somewhere. But your
*future* HMDs are probably going to look a lot more like HoloLens: Self
contained devices with no external monitor. We still want a browser in this
environment, and we still want WebVR. So now that mildly annoying ad
doesn't just light up your HMD while you're not wearing it. It takes over
your entire field of view without your consent and at any moment, and is
allowed to re-take-over your display repeatedly. Does this still sounds
like a Bizarro thing to be afraid of?

(Also consider this is a real problem for Mobile VR today. Even if it's not
in an Cardboard/GearVR/whatever WebVR would take over the display and show
you the stereo split screen view. World ending? No. Annoying? Absolutely!)

--Brandon