[webvr] Why does entering VR need to be on user interaction?

Florian Bösch pyalot at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:27:03 UTC 2016

It's not that easy.

Aparts from the obvious development difficulty of making a browser do a VR
shell.

SteamVR has some flavor of "VR shell" which shows you some SteamVR tiles
and tiles with your applications. There's also several "VR Desktops" which
work like a VR window manager. GearVR has a VR shell of its own. In
addition, GearVR's browser also has a "tab display mode" inside of its VR
shell. Oculus might add a VR shell to the oculus home themselves. Then
there's the likelihood that in the near future, some or other OS will start
offering native VR shells.

As an application maker, you'll want to avoid expending a lot of effort on
something just for your usecase, that a variety of people are already
trying to solve. But no clear solution to this has crystallized yet. But
when it does crystallize, it'll likely mean you can throw whatever you did
away and start over from scratch.