[webvr] Why does entering VR need to be on user interaction?

Brandon Jones bajones at google.com
Thu Sep 22 20:39:22 UTC 2016

It wouldn't get fired off into iframes or anything like that, so it would
require some level of cooperation from the page, but sure. That would
basically a VR interstitial. *shudder* Not my idea of a good time, but the
key here is that it didn't unexpectedly kick the user into a whole new
state. They were looking at immersive content, and have now transitioned to
a new set of immersive content, and maybe it's not the one that they were
expecting but it's less jarring by far than if they had been looking at a
2D page in a VR browser and are suddenly plonked into PepsiWorld without
warning. (Or, of course, were looking at a page on mobile and for reasons
beyond their comprehension are now looking at a split screen distorted view
of PepsiWorld.)