[webvr] Why does entering VR need to be on user interaction?

Brandon Jones bajones at google.com
Thu Sep 22 20:10:39 UTC 2016

So there's a difference in that we have a concept (not quite implemented
yet) of "VR linking" where I'm in a VR page and I do some interaction that
moves me to another page that also supports VR. We'll fire off a
onvrdisplayactivate event early in the page lifetime (maybe look for a meta
tag too? TBD) and if the page calls requestPresent in response to that
event we'll keep the user in VR and let the new page start presenting.
Obviously the browser has to make present this transition nicely to the
user and provide appropriate context (indicate what domain you're moving
to, etc.)

So the question posed by Florian is: Do we allow the same behavior if the
user isn't already in VR but the site they're headed would have gone into
VR mode automatically in the above scenario? Contextually it's more
disjoint for the user, but depending on how the linking page presented it
that transition could make sense.