[webvr] What not a shared WebVR library similar to ANGLE?

Ben Houston ben at exocortex.com
Thu Sep 29 00:39:06 UTC 2016

I greatly respect Florian's opinion but I think that ANGLE actually
accelerated the adoption of WebGL in Firefox and Chrome.  I will note
that Firefox and Chrome brought out a stable and usable WebGL
implementation long before both IE and Safari did and other browsers
never released a WebGL implementation as it was too costly to do.
IE's WebGL implementation contains a bunch of weird things that make
it hard to use (gl_FrontFacing not supported?) an Safari's still
doesn't support anti-aliasing.  I think that ANGLE actually pushed
things forward very quickly with WebGL 1.0.

I would suggest that one of the browser makers entertain bringing Ryan
Pavlik in to one of their offices to do a one- or two-week spike [1]
to see if OSVR can be implemented in their browser easily ASAP.

I would suggest supporting Ryan on-site during that spike with getting
the browser compiling with the appropriate libraries and help integrating
OSVR properly into the render pipeline.

This spike can be done parallel with the existing development schedules
at the browser maker, thus it will have minimal impact, but if it works, it
could have great benefits.

I'd suggest trying to get a alpha browser release out publicly at the
end of the spike
so others can see if this approach can reap benefits or what are the downsides.

The spike would allow one to know if this results in an
overall benefit without a mitigating downside -
it could reduce costs of supporting WebVR going forward, free up
resources for other VR initiatives than just driver support, improve
stability, increase the number of devices supported.

Interesting, there is no need
to actually have cross library sharing between multiple browsers to
gain the benefits of a mature shared VR driver layer. because OSVR is
already shared and mature - the browser makers do not have to do that
themselves, they can just leverage it individually if need be.  If
OSVR does not have unfixable flaws (e.g. performance, device
compatibility, API, etc.), then this could be very nice indeed.

[1] http://www.scaledagileframework.com/spikes/

Best regards,
Ben Houston (Cell: 613-762-4113, Skype: ben.exocortex, Twitter: @exocortexcom)
https://Clara.io - Online 3D Modeling and Rendering