[webvr] What not a shared WebVR library similar to ANGLE?

Yuval Boger yuval at sensics.com
Thu Sep 1 17:43:08 UTC 2016

Actually OSVR is not from Razer but was (and is ) being built by Sensics.
Razer and Sensics co-founded the OSVR effort but to date Sensics has been
primarily in charge of the software work.

The upsides of OSVR:
- Open source / Apache 2.0
- Supports hundreds of devices, including HTC Vive, Oculus
- Supports ATW, distortion correction, direct mode, predictive tracking
- Multi-platform
- WebVR plugin (http://sensics.com/osvr-comes-webvr/) as well as plugin for
Unity, Unreal (native support in 4.12), and many other engines.
- Extensible via plugins to do things like object tracking
- Abstracts interfaces so that devices of similar capabilities (e.g. Leap
Motion / Intel Realsense) are mostly interchangealbe
- Did I say open-source?

Obviously, OSVR is not perfect yet, but I would submit it is the closest
candidate to what you are looking for.

Yuval

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Ben Houston <ben at exocortex.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Another idea.  One interesting thing that happened with WebGL was the
> development of a common shared library that powered a number of
> projects, e.g. ANGLE.
>
> I wonder if that may make sense again.
>
> The reason I suggest this is that I think that the VR ecosystem is
> going have to fight with driver quality issues that are endemic to the
> 3D industry as a whole.
>
> There are already a ton of different driver layers
> - OpenVR SDK for VIVE
> https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1131-WSFG-3320
> - Oculus VR https://developer3.oculus.com/downloads/
> - Cardboard VR https://developers.google.com/vr/ios/download
> - OSVR from Razer - but is anyone using this?  http://www.osvr.org/
>
> Pooling resources to create a solid and bullet proof driver layers for
> the various VR devices may be useful.  I know that I would rather have
> the browser become bullet proof rather than JavaScript developers such
> as myself trying to navigate this.
>
> I know it has been a huge task to make WebGL as good as it is.
>
> I think that because WebVR needs to be coordinated with WebGL, this
> makes technical sense if there is a political will.  Although I guess
> consolidation at this point could actually slow things down, in favor
> of better stability and less work in the long-term.
>
> I know that may not be possible as it is a political problem, rather
> than a technical one.
>
> Best regards,
> Ben Houston

Yuval Boger
CEO | VRguy <http://www.vrguy.net/>
Sensics, Inc. <http://www.sensics.com/>

--

Latest news and blog posts (subscribe here

Aug 30: TechCrunch: VR from the battlefield to the couch and back
<https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/30/vr-on-the-battlefield-to-the-couch-and-back-again-sort-of/>

Aug 24: OSVR comes to WebVR <http://www.sensics.com/osvr-comes-webvr>

Aug 17: VRGuy podcast: Nonny de la Pena on immersive journalism
<http://sensics.com/vrguy-podcast-episode-20-nonny-de-la-pena-co-founder-emblematic-group/>