[web-vr] Welcome to VR

Josh Carpenter jcarpenter at mozilla.com
Thu May 22 16:25:29 PDT 2014

Hi all,

Welcome to our humble web VR mailing list!

To get us started, here’s a really great primer on why VR is actually going to happen this time, and why it will be awesome, from Oculus (formerly Valve) Chief Scientist, Michael Abrash:

What VR Could, Should, and Almost Certainly Will Be within Two Years

Here also is a recording of a panel I sat on this week at the Silicon Valley VR Expo, called "Creating the VR Metaverse”:

http://www.roadtovr.com/svvr-con-creating-vr-metaverse-livestream-300-pm-pdt/

In it we kick around ideas about identity & privacy in the future web, and I decree that working with keyboard & mouse is like creative constipation (to applause!). Was a good session, and we had lots of people come up afterwards to say how happy they were to see Mozilla taking an active voice in the conversation. There’s a huge opportunity for our org to play a thought leadership role here, something that we’ll be pursuing aggressively as we start to ship code, and will first discuss here, with y’all.

Loads more to come :)

—
Josh Carpenter
VR Research