[thunderbird-testers] Rapid releases will most likely change the way I organize crowd source testing.

Ludovic Hirlimann ludovic at mozilla.com
Mon Aug 22 07:54:00 PDT 2011

Hi list,

It's been a while since I've sent you emails. I've been busy coping with
the new way we do releases (every 6 week we do a  release). Our
documentation on our new process is at
http://people.mozilla.org/~mbanner2/tbdevspecifics/ .
This gives us less time to set up week long tests and make sure we
didn't regress. So we need to be smarter on how we spend our time
testing Thunderbird. In order to fix that I came up with a some proposals :

        New features

I'd like to focus our testing effort on new feature as soon as they land
so developers can fix issue when the code is fresh in their mind and
before it reaches the Aurora channel. The idea would be to  send you a
link with builds and a very detailed description of the new feature ,
for you to use a for a few days, to gather bugs and add some test to out
test database.

        Focused regression testing

Instead of having a complete Full Functional Test suite (ie known as
FFT), which is what we did until now. I would like ti just work on part
of the FFT, on the places where we know things have changed. Say we
change code in the Address Book (AB), we would then just focus our
attention on the address book and relevant bit that use the AB. This
would make organizing testing easier and faster. It would make testing
faster too. For some changes we would continue to do FFT - but they
should be rarer than in the past.

         More people on aurora

We also need more people on the aurora channel which is the place where
most of the integration between gecko and Thunderbird will happen
(https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-aurora/).
I run and update aurora on a daily basis. The add-ons I use work (even
enigmail which is a binary one). It's stable enough for me to use for my
production and work email. Having more users would give us a larger
pattern of usage and would help finding regressions and crashers earlier
in the process.

Ludo your trying to be friendly QA lead.

--
Thunderbird QA                                      https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhirlimann/  http://kiva.org/invitedby/ludovic7564