Participation/Growth KR

Jared Hirsch 6a68 at mozilla.com
Wed Oct 5 19:22:32 UTC 2016

+mhoye

Hey John,

Thanks for starting this conversation. I've given your proposal a lot of
thought, and I'd like to offer a counter-proposal.

## Participation Timeline, Q4 2016 through Q2 2017

Q4: Start by making decisions in public, in the Discourse user forums.
Q4-Q1: Once we've made our process accessible to contributors, ask active
Mozillians to get involved. Build an awesome core community. Advertise idea
submissions to active Mozillians & iterate on the submission system before
a huge public influx.
Q1-Q2: Once the core community is in place, and idea submission has been
tweaked, get Marketing involved with a public call for ideas. Our awesome
core community will help manage the influx: greet newcomers, bash trolls,
de-dupe suggestions.

## Background

To frame the discussion, I wrote up some thoughts[1] on what a more open,
community-centered product development cycle might look like. TL;DR: give
community a seat at the table by offering equal visibility into the
process, and opportunities to provide input at decision points.

See also Producing OSS[2], which makes interesting points on the importance
of public decision-making.

## Suggested Q4 plan

In Q4, we can set the stage for community by making our work public:
- ask product and UX to move decision making discussions to Discourse
- ask experiment teams to post in Discourse as they launch, measure,
iterate, and wind down
- make Discourse a secondary call to action on the Test Pilot experiment
pages
- deprecate mailing list in favor of Discourse
- (if there's time) ask vetted, active Mozillians to join the conversation
- (if there's time) ask Mozillians to share ideas

If we make these changes in Q4, then by Q1, we'll have plenty of content in
Discourse. New community members will tend to model their input on the tone
and content of the existing discussion; for this reason, I think we should
hold the open call until a bit later. I realize I'm contradicting my own
recent suggestion, but I do think this approach will yield better results.

## Key Result: 100 monthly active Discourse users

One natural number to measure would be the number of monthly active
Discourse users (MADU), meaning: users who post at least once a month in
the Test Pilot category. Right now, this number is probably below 10. If
all the dev teams and product/UX get involved, that'll jump to, maybe, 30
MADUs. If we get Mozillians engaged, we could see this number jump into the
hundreds. 100 MADUs seems ambitious, but possible.

## Q4 plan in detail

It's a bit buried in the list above, but I think we should deprecate the
mailing list, and move discussion to Discourse instead. Our current list
has little traffic, and a primitive, plain text archive that doesn't even
allow search. It would be easy to move the current traffic to Discourse.
Finally, moving to Discourse would encourage the Test Pilot team to use it.

Going into a bit more detail on the types of content that should move to
Discourse to help seed our community:

Design phase (product / UX):
- Idea proposals & discussion
- Decision making discussions: which ideas to invest in, and why those
ideas.

Development / iteration phase (product / UX / dev):
- Summaries of user interaction data (how are people using the product, how
many keep using it)
- High level discussion of which features to add, change, or remove,
grounded in the public interaction data
- I'm not yet sure how much development discussion should happen on
Discourse vs. a specific mailing list; we can ask around to see what
approaches different teams would like to try.

Graduation / end of cycle phase (product):
- Discussions about whether to keep an experiment running, move into
Firefox, or retire it

## Wrapping up

A lot of what I've proposed creates work for others, particularly product
managers of individual experiments (and you, as PM of Test Pilot). If there
are places where I could shoulder some of the load, I'd like to help.

Thoughts / questions / counter-counter-proposals very welcome :-)

Cheers,

Jared

[1] http://6a68.net/2016/open-product-development/
[2] http://producingoss.com/en/producingoss.html#avoid-private-discussions