<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
<div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 5/27/20 7:57 PM, Kai Engert wrote:<br>
28.05.20 01:03, Ben Bucksch wrote:
<blockquote type="cite">What about those Enigmail users who *do*
manually install TB 78.0? They cannot use Enigmail anymore. They
cannot downgrade anymore, because TB blocks profile downgrades.
They are stuck without any encryption. They cannot even read
their encrypted mail. I am talking specifically about those.
You're right that we should think about those users, and try to
minimize the number of users who will run into that situation, but
it seems difficult to completely avoid it.
Enigmail could open a tab (each time Thunderbird gets started)
with a warning that says "reminder, please continue to use
Thunderbird 68.x until August-25 because ...".
Or we could try to add a check to Thunderbird 78 that is executed
very early during the startup code (before any profile migration
code runs), which checks if the Enigmail Add-on is present in the
profile. If it is, show a warning "You have the Enigmail Add-on
installed, which is no longer supported by this version of
Thunderbird. Integrated OpenPGP support is under active
development, and expected to be ready by August-25. Please
continue to use TB 68 until August-25. Thunderbird will now quit."
Delaying the stable 78.x release until OpenPGP is sufficiently
complete would be an easier and more reliable approach (e.g.
declare 78.0 and 78.1 as beta versions), but in my understanding
this isn't an option.
<p>Correct, delaying releasing 78 for 1-2 months isn't an option. <br>
<p>It seems to me the idea you mention above is a very good one,
give users an opportunity to opt out when starting up 78 and be
able to go back to 68. But we are now past string freeze, so we
need to very quickly navigate that issue.</p>
<p> I would not include dates - dates can change. I wouldn't even
mention releases. We can communicate that information in the
existing enigmail add-on when we know everything is ready.<br>