[Council Meeting] Minutes from 2020-04-20

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Fri May 29 23:39:33 UTC 2020

Hey Wayne,

thanks for sending this report. It is much more detailed than the
previous ones. That is appreciated!

However, I have 2 concerns:
1. The minutes seem to be polished with the goal redact and remove any
actual facts. They are not concrete enough information to make any sense
of them. The goal of transparency is for the community to have insight
into the decisions, their rationale, and also to see how the Council is
doing. If all potentially critical information is polished away, no
useful participation by the community is possible.

2. The minutes seem to come fairly constantly about 1 month after the
meeting. I would expect notes to appear after 1-2 days. I suspect the
reason is that you have a process in place for other council members to
approve the minutes and they can redact and remove things they don't
want public. This is *not* desirable. That removes the community any
information basis about the candidates.

In short: Can we please have uncensored reports? It's perfectly fine to
remove HR details about specific persons, but there is no staff info in
the notes anyway (see last point of minutes), so the redactions go far
beyond the necessary redactions, and it makes the notes way too generic
to be useful.

All that said, these minutes were a lot better than previous ones (e.g.
they mentioned who asked what, that's helpful and important!), so thanks
for that.

----

A concrete question, which triggered my writing this email and the above
comments: I am genuinely concerned about the income situation of
Thunderbird, for donations.

How much, in percent, have the donations dropped? How does that relate
to the costs? Are savings doing to drown, and how fast? I am eagerly
waiting for some numbers.

This is important information that affects the entire project, staffing,
and other decisions, even the possibility for projects like the renewal
of the code base, so that's important for the community to know.

It seems that the minutes are dancing around concrete numbers without
saying anything specific, and I'm sure you have discussed them, which
suggests that the minutes were too redacted, and which prompts this posts.

I'm just looking for things like:
"Donations dropped 23% in April compared to February 2020. But our
income is still 10% above costs, and the income would be 8% below
expenses after the 3 new hires."

If we get less than this information, it's too superficial to be helpful.

Ben