Thunderbird 78.x and enabling OpenPGP by default

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Wed May 27 23:57:39 UTC 2020

On 28.05.20 01:03, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> What about those Enigmail users who *do* manually install TB 78.0? They
> cannot use Enigmail anymore. They cannot downgrade anymore, because TB
> blocks profile downgrades. They are stuck without any encryption. They
> cannot even read their encrypted mail. I am talking specifically about
> those.

You're right that we should think about those users, and try to minimize
the number of users who will run into that situation, but it seems
difficult to completely avoid it.

Enigmail could open a tab (each time Thunderbird gets started) with a
warning that says "reminder, please continue to use Thunderbird 68.x
until August-25 because ...".

Or we could try to add a check to Thunderbird 78 that is executed very
early during the startup code (before any profile migration code runs),
which checks if the Enigmail Add-on is present in the profile. If it is,
show a warning "You have the Enigmail Add-on installed, which is no
longer supported by this version of Thunderbird. Integrated OpenPGP
support is under active development, and expected to be ready by
August-25. Please continue to use TB 68 until August-25. Thunderbird
will now quit."

Delaying the stable 78.x release until OpenPGP is sufficiently complete
would be an easier and more reliable approach (e.g. declare 78.0 and
78.1 as beta versions), but in my understanding this isn't an option.

Kai