Thunderbird 78.x and enabling OpenPGP by default

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Wed May 27 14:58:47 UTC 2020

On 26.05.20 21:56, Jacques Angevelle wrote:
> You say that the functionality will be disabled and hidden AND Enigmail
> can no longer be used. For users who use OpenPGP for some messages, that
> means they will see a major regression if they want to be early adopters
> of 78.x but can't assume risk of using beta.

I think you'll have to make a choice.

Either you're an early adaptor who accepts the risks of using OpenPGP
code that we still consider beta quality, then you can upgrade to TB 78
manually and enable the feature manually,

or you prefer to use stable code, then you stay on TB 68 and Enigmail
for two additional months.

> What is the problem that
> would prevent leaving the function visible as keysabsence prevents it
> from being used?

The problem is that users who expect a stable experience would upgrade
to TB 78 and run into the problems we haven't yet fixed.

If you haven't seen the ToDo list:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/index.php?title=Thunderbird:OpenPGP:Status

We want to fix the most important issues from that list, before we
enable it by default.

Kai