Thunderbird 78.x and enabling OpenPGP by default

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Tue May 26 09:03:46 UTC 2020

Hello,

we have identified several aspects of the integrated OpenPGP
implementation for TB 78 that should get improved, prior to declaring
the functionality as stable.

After discussions with Magnus we'd like to suggest that the 78.2 update
should be the first version that enables OpenPGP by default.

In other words, OpenPGP support would still be disabled by default in
the initial 78.0 release.

We'd like to add a preference that allows early adoptors who understand
the limitations of the OpenPGP implementation to enable the
functionality in the 78.0 release.

Beta and Nightly builds would continue to enable the feature by default.

This schedule would give us 2 more months, until end of July, to work on
important improvements and uplift them into the release branch. The 78.2
release is scheduled for 2020-08-25.

Thanks and Regards
Kai