Virtual Summit 2020 Talks and Times

Paul Morris paul at thunderbird.net
Tue May 19 15:17:57 UTC 2020

Hello all,

Feel free to join us for the following presentation and discussion which
will begin in a little under two hours (at 17:00 UTC), in the
Thunderbird status meeting room on Zoom:

https://mozilla.zoom.us/j/549511776

*Why we might want to start type checking our JavaScript and how that
could even work
*

Type: Presentation & Discussion

Host/Presenter: Paul Morris

JavaScript is a dynamically typed language, but now TypeScript's tooling
can be used to statically type check plain vanilla JavaScript files
(with some help from JSDoc). Type checking offers various benefits that
include catching certain classes of bugs sooner (before they get to
users) and making code easier to understand. Tools like ESLint and
Prettier have improved Thunderbird's JavaScript code and developer
experience. Would type checking be a good next step and how might that
work?

Date/Time: May 19, 17:00 UTC

Here are some links as background and/or further reading:

Type Checking JavaScript Files
https://www.typescriptlang.org/docs/handbook/type-checking-javascript-files.html

Type Safe JavaScript with JSDoc
https://medium.com/@trukrs/type-safe-javascript-with-jsdoc-7a2a63209b76

JSDoc
https://jsdoc.app

The advantages of static typing, simply stated
https://pchiusano.github.io/2016-09-15/static-vs-dynamic.html

This is part of the Thunderbird 2020 Virtual Summit:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/2020_Virtual_Summit

--
Paul Morris
Thunderbird.net