Thunderbird communication channels consolidation

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Fri May 15 11:26:44 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-15 12:42, Kai Engert wrote:
> Hi Magnus, thanks for the initiative. Here are some thoughts on your
> suggestions:
>
> With a mailman listed hosted by Mozilla, the project has full control
> over the archive.

We'd still have full control over the groups we own on topicbox.

> Should Thunderbird ever decide to stop using the services of the
> Topicbox commercial provider, what will happen to the archive of past
> discussions on lists that were hosted on Topicbox?

Past archives can be imported manually per request
<https://www.topicbox.com/pricing>.

I don't know if there's any export feature, but if we want we could have
a mailbox subscribed for this purpose only.

> We might want to keep tb-planning as a traditional Mailman list, with
> its traditional archive. Keeping a permanent archive of the high level
> discussions seems more interesting than the archive of short lived
> technical discussions.
>
> The Maildev list could be removed, and a new list of development
> topics created on Topicbox. Given Topicbox already hosts the "Add-on
> Developers" list, and the "Thunderbird UX" list, this seems consistent.
>
> The naming should be chosen carefully. Is this list really about
> "Mail" development, only? What about discussions on Calendar, Chat or
> Feeds?

I agree per topic conversations is the way to go. As per my other mail,
circles will often be *very* small though.

  -Magnus