Thunderbird communication channels consolidation

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Fri May 15 10:43:24 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-15 11:46, Mark Banner wrote:

> Does topicbox have the same level of moderation available as the
> mailing list? Although I suspect we haven't needed it a lot currently,
> I would be wary of moving to something where we loose the capabilities
> we have now - in case that does become necessary in the future.

I believe the moderation possibilities are the same as elsewhere:

For group members you can moderate also on individual level:

>> mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird newsgroup
>>
>>   * Could remain (IMO).
>>   * Could consider having it a pure newsgroup and kill the
>>     mailinglist gateway, which when used makes usage a mess out of
>>     conversations there...
>>
> What would be the point of the newsgroup? What would it actually
> cover? The only things I've noticed being discussed there recently
> would possibly be better discussed on the maildev discussion list...

Good question. It's not very much used atm.

The primary reason to keep would be have a place for people to use nntp
to discuss Thunderbird, which is an nntp client after all. Maybe it's
not a good enough reason.

  -Magnus