Thunderbird communication channels consolidation

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Fri May 15 09:51:08 UTC 2020

On 15.05.20 09:56, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
> On 15/05/2020 09:32, Magnus Melin wrote:
>> maildev mailing list
>> <https://lists.thunderbird.net/mailman/listinfo/maildev_lists.thunderbird.net>
>>

>>  1. Most if not all of the maildev members are also on tb-planning.
>>  2. The list hasn't had too much traffic, since whether to choose
>>     this or tb-planning is not easy.
>>  3. Its original purpose of serving as a more moderated forum for
>>     technical discussion has proven generally non-feasible: details
>>     of technical decisions are better discussed on specific bugs with
>>     the people who have, or are gaining knowledge about the specifics
>>     involved.
>>
> Point 1: These lists have different moderation rules.

And the lists have different audiences. tb-planning includes the
community, whereas maildev is strictly for developers and code topics.

> Point 2: These lists have very different purposes: For example, if you
> want to discuss the pitfalls of Mork-removal, then tb-planning is
> *not* the right list.

Exactly.

We need a place where we can discuss code and development related
subjects that affect the whole project and not just a specific bug. We
had a few of those, and they were important to discuss among the
developers. Bugzilla is not suited for that.

> Point 3: Not-feasible? Why? We had a few useful discussions here. Not
> all the technical people follow all the bugs.

And not all devs follow all discussion on tb-planning. For high-level
development discussions, it's important to reach the key developers.

> Also, please refer to
>
> https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-planning/2017-July/005610.html

ditto

I second Jörg's motion to keep maildev, for the same reasons that Jörg
mentioned.

However, I wouldn't mind, if it was moved to topicbox as tb-dev, as long
as we have a permanent archive of it.