Thunderbird communication channels consolidation

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Fri May 15 09:42:44 UTC 2020

Hi Magnus, thanks for the initiative. Here are some thoughts on your
suggestions:

With a mailman listed hosted by Mozilla, the project has full control
over the archive.

Should Thunderbird ever decide to stop using the services of the
Topicbox commercial provider, what will happen to the archive of past
discussions on lists that were hosted on Topicbox?

We might want to keep tb-planning as a traditional Mailman list, with
its traditional archive. Keeping a permanent archive of the high level
discussions seems more interesting than the archive of short lived
technical discussions.

The Maildev list could be removed, and a new list of development topics
created on Topicbox. Given Topicbox already hosts the "Add-on
Developers" list, and the "Thunderbird UX" list, this seems consistent.

The naming should be chosen carefully. Is this list really about "Mail"
development, only? What about discussions on Calendar, Chat or Feeds?

If you want a general list for all development discussions related to
the core Thunderbird software, then the name shouldn't imply a
limitation to Mail. Highlighing the difference to "Add-on Developers",
and being aligned with the "tb-planning" name, we could name that new
list "TB Developers" with the short alias "tb-dev".

If there's unhappiness with Discourse, then yes, please shut down its
Thunderbird area. It's unconvenient to have to log in there to follow
discussions. If people want to use a web based forum to interact with
us, then Topicbox should work for that.

Regarding newsgroups, I've seen past problems if a list was bridged
between newsgroups and a mailing list. Archives were unreliable,
messaging from one channel not reliably showing up on the other side.
Therefore I agree, shut down dev-apps-thunderbird at lists.mozilla.org

I'd personally consider to even abandon mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird but
of course we can keep it, if you consider it important to keep a
Newsgroup channel alive.

In short:
- agree with your suggestions to shut off discourse and
   stop the mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird mailing list gateway

- suggest to keep tb-planning on mailman at Mozilla

- suggest to rather move Maildev to tb-dev at thunderbird.topicbox.com

Kai