Thunderbird communication channels consolidation

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Fri May 15 08:51:19 UTC 2020

On 15.05.20 09:32, Magnus Melin wrote:

>   * Would remain/become the main channel of general communication.

Agreed.

> maildev mailing list
> <https://lists.thunderbird.net/mailman/listinfo/maildev_lists.thunderbird.net>
>

>   * Most if not all of the maildev members are also on tb-planning.
>   * The list hasn't had too much traffic, since whether to choose this
>     or tb-planning is not easy.
>   * Its original purpose of serving as a more moderated forum for
>     technical discussion has proven generally non-feasible: details of
>     technical decisions are better discussed on specific bugs with the
>     people who have, or are gaining knowledge about the specifics
>     involved.

Strongly disagreed. maildev is very important. See the posting by Jörg
and my reply over there.

> Thunderbird discourse <https://discourse.mozilla.org/c/thunderbird>
>
>   * Would be discontinued.
>   * The addons topicbox
>     <https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups/addons> is flourishing
>     and a number of people have expressed frustration with discourse.
>     The value in keeping it seems low.

Agreed. Topicbox - being email lists - is better suited for Thunderbird.

> mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird newsgroup
>
>   * Could remain (IMO).

Does anybody of the devs still read this? I see only 2 posts from
developers this year. I'd be in favor of dropping this, if we're talking
about consolidation.

We should have a channel for end user discussion, though.