Thunderbird suggestion box

Richard Leger richard.leger at gmail.com
Tue May 12 19:20:53 UTC 2020

>Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 13:25:46 -0400
>From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl at libertytrek.org>
>To: tb-planning at mozilla.org
>Subject: Re: Thunderbird suggestion box
>I'd just note that having Thunderbird's direction more heavily
>influenced by a smallish group of dedicated users is not necessarily a
>bad thing, but of course there should be checks and balances.

Without heavy influence (especially big money influence), a small group of users and (small) businesses entities that may use and rely on Thunderbird shall have a way to report bugs, performance issues or new feature that may (in their eye) need priority fixing or implementing and be able to help financially if they can and are willing to do so at some level to have them resolved/added sooner than later. Some of those issues have been identified and reported for years already, maybe start with those, fixing bugs and performance in priority over new features ;-)

Of course checks and balance shall be in place and solutions that would benefit the entire community shall be priviledged... but I would expect the project leader, technical commity and core developpers to ensure this balance for the entire project...

What is currently the proper channel if some entity is ready to pay for a perf/bug fix or enhancements? Or ready to provide some temporary man power to help on the matter?

VLC project seemed to have managed to find a balance between community project and paid contribution for feature/fix from entities... would it be worth to check with them or other similar open projects how they do?

Ps: Personally was not aware of any existing voting system in place to prioritise perf/bug fixing or enhancements... so proper management/ communication/transparency on the matter may also be the key here...

--
Richard