Thunderbird suggestion box

Mallory Knodel mknodel at cdt.org
Mon May 11 20:17:50 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I would just caution against this approach given that it prefers people
with money, and specifically entities that might use this mechanism to push
features on Thunderbird that are not in the community's best interest.

It seems like a way to gauge seriousness, but it would end up being a way
to disenfranchise regular user concerns and game the system, based on other
OSS development experiences. On that point, has the larger OSS community
come up with solutions to this very common issue that Thunderbird might
adopt?

-Mallory

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 2:31 PM Tanstaafl <tanstaafl at libertytrek.org> wrote:

> On 4/27/2020, 4:58:41 PM, Eric Moore <emoore at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > Voting on features is necessary, but it's inherently risky. I worry
> > about it turning from a very coarse indication of how much interest
> > there is to a small group of users who feel strongly about a feature
> > having too much impact because they're being pro-active (and potentially
> > organized). Its also not clear why it would work any better than voting
> > in Bugzilla (which seems a failure)
>
> I'd just note that having Thunderbird's direction more heavily
> influenced by a smallish group of dedicated users is not necessarily a
> bad thing, but of course there should be checks and balances.
>
> One thing I'd like to see is a way, directly from the
> bug-tracker/suggestion box or whatever, to accept donations, allowing
> the user to link their donation to a specific feature (or group of
> features). Of course it should be made very clear that there is no
> guarantee the feature will be implemented.
>
> Such features should then be given a higher priority for consideration,
> based on the number/amount of donations referencing said feature(s).
>
> This would provide some level of gauging the seriousness of the support
> for any given feature(s).

Mallory Knodel
CTO, Center for Democracy and Technology
gpg fingerprint :: E3EB 63E0 65A3 B240 BCD9 B071 0C32 A271 BD3C C780