Thunderbird suggestion box

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Mon May 11 17:25:46 UTC 2020

On 4/27/2020, 4:58:41 PM, Eric Moore <emoore at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Voting on features is necessary, but it's inherently risky. I worry
> about it turning from a very coarse indication of how much interest
> there is to a small group of users who feel strongly about a feature
> having too much impact because they're being pro-active (and potentially
> organized). Its also not clear why it would work any better than voting
> in Bugzilla (which seems a failure)

I'd just note that having Thunderbird's direction more heavily
influenced by a smallish group of dedicated users is not necessarily a
bad thing, but of course there should be checks and balances.

One thing I'd like to see is a way, directly from the
bug-tracker/suggestion box or whatever, to accept donations, allowing
the user to link their donation to a specific feature (or group of
features). Of course it should be made very clear that there is no
guarantee the feature will be implemented.

Such features should then be given a higher priority for consideration,
based on the number/amount of donations referencing said feature(s).

This would provide some level of gauging the seriousness of the support
for any given feature(s).