Updates and additions to APIs in Thunderbird 77

Geoff Lankow geoff at thunderbird.net
Thu May 7 23:25:38 UTC 2020

Thunderbird 77 beta 1 is here. There's not many changes for
WebExtensions in this version, but there is a significant one.

  * Several improvements to tab handling and events.
  * Content scripts in the compose window. This allows you to interact
    directly with the message being composed, and should solve a range
    of problems.

Here are the details:
https://thunderbird-webextensions.readthedocs.io/en/latest/changes/beta77.html
<https://thunderbird-webextensions.readthedocs.io/en/latest/changes/beta77.html>

Looking ahead, with Thunderbird 78 being the next release, I won't be
working on any new additions for a while (other than the compose
attachments API, which is already finished). Instead, any time I have
for WebExtensions work will be spent making sure existing things work as
they should – like the changes to tab events mentioned above. I already
have a long list of bugs, so I'll be focussing on the ones that make the
most difference to the most people. Sorry if your pet problem doesn't
get fixed.

Lastly, thank you to those who have tested new additions and pointed out
problems or things that have been missed. Thank you especially to those
people who have contributed fixes to the issues they see. You know who
you are.

GL