Thunderbird 78.x and enabling OpenPGP by default

Wayne vseerror at lehigh.edu
Tue Jun 30 15:51:50 UTC 2020

On 6/30/20 11:22 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> On 08.06.20 20:39, Wayne Mery wrote:
>>
>> 1.
>>
>>     68.9.0 (concurrent with 78 beta)
>>
>>     1.
>>
>>         Enigmail x.y informs users not to attempt manual update via
>>         strongly worded notification
>>

> This made the frontpage of the largest IT news site in Germany:
>
> https://www.heise.de/news/Enigmail-warnt-Nutzer-vor-manuellem-Update-auf-Thunderbird-78-4799240.html
>
> http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.heise.de%2Fnews%2FEnigmail-warnt-Nutzer-vor-manuellem-Update-auf-Thunderbird-78-4799240.html
>

> The biggest security threat these days is that people or vendors do
> not make updates. Many Thunderbird users are reluctant to make
> updates, because they fear regressions. I am scared that this message
> will reinforce the idea of users that updates are bad. It is this idea
> in the user's minds that causes the security disasters.

I don't see anything in that article that is incorrect. The message we
wanted to get out is that in no uncertain terms should Enigmail users
update to 78 on their own at this time.  When the time is right, the
messaging in Engimail will change as will our external messaging, and
users will be automatically updated to 78.

Enigmail is mentioned in the heise article several times, thankfully.
If non-Enigmail users think from that article that they shouldn't update
then apparently they don't know how to read.

That said, if there is better messaging then now is the time to provide
it.  Ryan's blog post will be going out soon.