Thunderbird 78.0 release date, and betas

Wayne vseerror at lehigh.edu
Fri Jun 26 16:56:56 UTC 2020

Thank you, Walter. You are correct, I failed to communicate a step.
Initially when we ship NN.0 even manual updates are disabled.  Thus, all
users will for a period of time (perhaps 3-4 weeks) only see an update
of 68.9.0 -> 69.10.0, which will be automatic.

However, at some point the rules will be changed, typically in bursts of
a couple days, so that manual update attempts will get 78 in short
bursts.  And then in the 78.2 time frame I expect, as I previously
posted, that automatic updates will gradually be phased in more strongly.

In other words, extension developers do not have a full three months to
prepare extensions.  Note, even on day one many users download the new
version just because they are eager to get it.  And ISTR last year we
had many tens of thousands of version 68 users in the first month - it's
not a spigot that we can fully control.  I anticipate a million or two
users on 78 by September 1.

To conclude, you don't want to be ramping up add-on development in late
July and August.  Extension developers will want to :
a) start their work now, if they did not already start during the beta
78 period
b) ask questions and assist other developers in
https://thunderbird.topicbox.com/groups/addons/
c) file bugs now for missing API functionally needed for their add-on,
if they did not already do so during the beta 78 period
d) help bring the developer documentation up to speed

Hope that helps.