Thunderbird 78.x and enabling OpenPGP by default

Wayne Mery vseerror at lehigh.edu
Mon Jun 8 18:39:27 UTC 2020

On 5/27/20 7:57 PM, Kai Engert wrote:
> On 28.05.20 01:03, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>> What about those Enigmail users who *do* manually install TB 78.0?
>> They cannot use Enigmail anymore. They cannot downgrade anymore,
>> because TB blocks profile downgrades. They are stuck without any
>> encryption. They cannot even read their encrypted mail. I am talking
>> specifically about those.
>
> You're right that we should think about those users, and try to
> minimize the number of users who will run into that situation, but it
> seems difficult to completely avoid it.

Yes, we will wan to reduce that risk and provide a KB to get out of it
if they find themselves in that predicament.

> Enigmail could open a tab (each time Thunderbird gets started) with a
> warning that says "reminder, please continue to use Thunderbird 68.x
> until August-25 because ...".
>
> Or we could try to add a check to Thunderbird 78 that is executed very
> early during the startup code (before any profile migration code
> runs), which checks if the Enigmail Add-on is present in the profile.
> If it is, show a warning "You have the Enigmail Add-on installed,
> which is no longer supported by this version of Thunderbird.
> Integrated OpenPGP support is under active development, and expected
> to be ready by August-25. Please continue to use TB 68 until
> August-25. Thunderbird will now quit."
>
> Delaying the stable 78.x release until OpenPGP is sufficiently
> complete would be an easier and more reliable approach (e.g. declare
> 78.0 and 78.1 as beta versions), but in my understanding this isn't an
> option.
>
> Kai

So Kai, Patrick, myself and others have discussed release planning and
the following is a draft plan (emphasis on draft, subject to change).
There will certainly also be point releases as needed along the way
which are not listed. Apologies for the strange outline numbering,
that's how it copied from the doc and it's too painful to fix.

Steps (dates approximate, provided for planning purposes):

 1.

    77 beta May 5

     1.

        OpenPGP landed and available for testing

 2.

    78 beta June 2

     1.

        OpenPGP testing goals

         1.

            Migration of keys and settings from Enigmail (that’s a good
            test case for TB/RNP because it tests the broad variety of
            keys that people have)

         2.

            Key import & export

         3.

            Email encryption

         4.

            Email decryption

     2.

        Testing instructions will be listed at
        https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:OpenPGP - can be enabled by
        user.

     3.

        OpenPGP documentation and location for user support will be
        provided at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:OpenPGP.

     4.

        Have we gotten enough encryption beta testers and what is the
        quality of the feedback? Do we need to ask testers for something
        different?  And where do we communicate to ask them?

 3.

    68.9.0 (concurrent with 78 beta)

     1.

        Enigmail x.y informs users not to attempt manual update via
        strongly worded notification

 4.

    78.0 June 30 (concurrent with 68.10.0)

     1.

        OpenPGP support disabled by default - can be enabled by user.
        Enigmail migrator migrates user data to OpenPGP.

     2.

        68 to 78 background update rate set to 0

     3.

        Have we gotten enough new encryption testers and feedback?

 5.

    78.1.0 July 28 (concurrent with 68.11.0)

     1.

        OpenPGP support disabled by default - can be enabled by user.
        Enigmail migrator migrates user data to OpenPGP.

     2.

        68 to 78 background update rate set to 0(?)

     3.

        Have we gotten enough new encryption testers and feedback?

 6.

    78.2.0 August 25 (concurrent with 68.12.0)

     1.

        OpenPGP support enabled by default

     2.

        Enigmail migrator migrates user data to OpenPGP.

     3.

        68 to 78 background update rate set to <TBD>?

 7.

    78.3.0 Sept 22 (no 68.x to be released)

     1.

        OpenPGP enabled / further refinement

     2.

        68 to 78 background update rate set to <TBD>?

     3.

        68 EOL

 8.

    Enigmail EOL - at least 6 months after TB 68 EOL