iCal alignment of the calendar

Max Emig mozilla at emigm.ax
Thu Jun 4 22:20:08 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I was looking into various issues that affect my experience of using Thunderbird for tasks and events with iCal/CalDAV drastically. I found some quite old neglected bugs assigned to it.

It all boils down to interoperability issues between iCal RFC5545 compliance and the current state of the user interface which users are familiar with as well as the possibility of other standards like draft-ietf-calext-jscalendar.

In the following table, I am only pointing out the differences that are visible to the end-user and thus cannot be converted seamlessly:TopicCurrent state of ThunderbirdiCal RFC5545draft-ietf-calext-jscalendarBugzillaAll-day-eventsAll-day events are supported with temporarily storing time during selection in the dialog but saving withoutSaving the date(s) without timeTime can be hidden from the overview but has to be saved.n/aTasks with a date without a timeTasks with a date without a time are not supported, but are untouched when importing and then exporting themSaving the date(s) without timeNo example is given. Time can be hidden from the overview but has to be saved.357502Privacy statusesDefault: No value
Available options: "Public Event", "Show Time and Date Only", "Private Event"Default: "Public"
Available options: "Public", "Confidential", "Private"
The server governs sharing based on this value and its settings.Default: "Public"
Available options: "Public", "Private", "Secret"
The standard governs which values may be shared under which conditions.649944I suggest stricter alignment to iCal RFC5545 at least in these cases to achieve full compliance. It is the only currently supported data format for tasks and events because the entire calendar is based on the iCal implementation libical or its new successor ical.js.

The change from "Show Time and Date Only" to "Confidential" should be addressed in the changelog. Furthermore, a help article for the Privacy selector would be useful in any case as the concept of telling the server your preference on sharing is not exactly self-explanatory.

Max