[Council Meeting] Minutes from 2020-05-04

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Tue Jun 2 19:39:51 UTC 2020

Thunderbird Project Council Meeting notes from 2020-05-04

When: May 4, 2020 at 9:00 PM – 10:23 PM CEST
Minuter: Magnus
In the call: Magnus, Ryan, Philpp, Berna, Jörg, Wayne, Brian
Regrets: Patrick

Financial

  * Berna inquired about status getting up-to-date information and per
    country breakdown. Ryan said better data will be available soon.
    What we can say from the preliminary numbers we do have from
    analytics, is that the US is leading with an uptick from China.
  * Discussed surveying donors. We could do this if we know what we want
    to ask. Could link to a survey from for the next donor newsletter.

Hiring/personnel

  * Getting paper works done for new hires still in process.
  * One hire backed out - looking for a replacement. Discussed posting
    jobs more widely.
  * Discussions about benefits package (US employees) has not progressed
    significantly. Waiting on getting a price tag for various
    alternatives. Broad agreement this needs to finalized ASAP.
      o Berna suggested to be more agile and find ways to resolve
        outstanding issues (such as the Benefits Package) quicker.
  * Wayne had emailed an alternative proposal for commissioning QA
    services. The new proposal didn't get enough interest from the
    council, so not pursuing this now.

Product/Strategy

  * Berna inquired about enterprise pilot candidate(s). Discussion about
    enterprise support followed.
  * Berna shared a feature comparison chart
    <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Feature_Comparison:_Mozilla_Thunderbird_-_Microsoft_Outlook>
    and another chart from another email client website and proposed
    updating the existing one.
      o Ryan and Wayne to update it.

Governance

  * Berna asked for clarification on corporate roles, like who should
    update MZLA Board on financials. Currently it's Ethan [Mozilla
    Foundation]. Berna thinks Ryan is best positioned to give an overall
    update.
  * Elections: Berna is concerned with one of the clauses in the NDA and
    Berna, Jörg and Wayne had a discussion with MoFo in order to clarify
    this. However, there is still no still no update on the NDA. Need to
    get an answer from legal and proceed with elections.

   -Magnus