Thunderbird 78 performance

Wayne Mery vseerror at lehigh.edu
Sat Jul 18 13:35:47 UTC 2020

In a just few days since the release we have had a few reports of
performance issues and I am sure we will have more in the coming days,
including for issues that have not been reported during the long beta
period which has ~50k users. This is normal when you bring on many more
users, and happens every time we have done a big release, so it
shouldn't be too surprising.  In fact we should expect it, and not just
for performance issues.  These are opportunities to be seized and used
to our advantage, to benefit our users.

We have great developers, but to identify the causes and fix issues that
are caused by our code we must have testcases.  So please be sure to
save your testcase data in some safe place before attempting
workarounds, and then *file a bug report* with steps to reproduce.

The same goes for support postings - every support post is an
opportunity to preserve a testcase that can be provided to a developer
and potentially lead to a solution.

Together, let's get this bird in better shape!