Tb 78 release

Wayne Mery vseerror at lehigh.edu
Fri Jul 17 09:03:09 UTC 2020

On 7/17/20 4:19 AM, Matt Harris wrote:
> Well the first of the tell us what you think folks has made it to
> support. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1295314
>
> To quote
>
>     So a new change in version 78 is that "Thunderbird will now ask
>     for OS account password before displaying saved passwords". This
>     is akin to a business or credit card company asking me for my
>     Social Security Number, in other words, totally unacceptable. This
>     is a deal killer for me, I'll never update to version 78.0 as long
>     as this "feature" is in place.
>
> So I though I would see what that was all about.  I searched
> Bugzilla.  Nothing.
> A general Google search lists loads of copy and paste pages parroting
> the release notes text,  but nothing on that expands on the statement.
> Was this a platform or Thunderbird change.  I have no idea.
> What does it really affect,  again I have no idea.  It sounds like yet
> another thing I will be wanting to disable though!

I hardly think after a few hours of 78 being live that we can hold this
users post out as being representative of what the wider public will
think in the coming days.  And I don't recall any of the 50k beta users
posting about this.

Yes, what you are seeing is a platform change - Firefox has the same
feature to protect saved passwords, superseding master password AIUI.
And frankly a welcome change. I think it happened in 77 or 78.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1295314#answer-1333595 explains.

> Perhaps someone can suggest a way to turn these random bits of text in
> the release notes into a way to get details because I am about done
> trying.

> My 6 hour venture today into V78 resulted in me back on 68 to stay I
> think. I can't make my profile work in 78. it just displays an empty
> non functional user interface.
FWIW I would have stopped long before 6 hours and posted a question on
Matrix, and probably gotten quick help.