Tb 78 release

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 08:19:43 UTC 2020

Well the first of the tell us what you think folks has made it to
support. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1295314

To quote

    So a new change in version 78 is that "Thunderbird will now ask for
    OS account password before displaying saved passwords". This is akin
    to a business or credit card company asking me for my Social
    Security Number, in other words, totally unacceptable. This is a
    deal killer for me, I'll never update to version 78.0 as long as
    this "feature" is in place.

So I though I would see what that was all about.  I searched Bugzilla.
Nothing.
A general Google search lists loads of copy and paste pages parroting
the release notes text,  but nothing on that expands on the statement.
Was this a platform or Thunderbird change.  I have no idea.
What does it really affect,  again I have no idea.  It sounds like yet
another thing I will be wanting to disable though!

Perhaps someone can suggest a way to turn these random bits of text in
the release notes into a way to get details because I am about done
trying.  My 6 hour venture today into V78 resulted in me back on 68 to
stay I think. I can't make my profile work in 78. it just displays an
empty non functional user interface.

I guess I will not be supporting V78 as I can not get it to actually
function, let alone find the details of what the changes actually are or
how they should work.  I hope others have better luck.

Matt

--
“Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain.” /― Friedrich
von Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans /