Thunderbird 78 coming soon
vseerror at lehigh.edu
Thu Jul 2 21:19:48 UTC 2020
Thunderbird 78.0 will be available soon.
Even though we are feature complete**, rough edges can be smoothed and
it always helps to have fresh eyes to find issues. To help, you can
either wait for the 78 announcement, or install beta which is also where
fixes will appear first (fixes to release 78 come a few weeks later).
Details below on how you can help us get the product in better shape.
** Two exceptions: 1) new built-in encryption
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:OpenPGP>, replacing Enigmail which
does not run in 78 - if you are an enigmail user do NOT install 78 or
beta, and 2) new preferences search
The Release Team
* The current state of beta is 78.0b4, which is what will ship as 78.0.
* Do not use 78 beta if you rely on add-ons. Add-on authors are still
* 78 has many changes and fixes since a year ago starting with beta
69. Please check the text version of release notes (draft)
* You have two choices of how to run beta:
o Use your existing data profile so that you don't have to
recreate your configuration. However, after starting 78 on this
profile you will NOT be able to use it with version 68 because
78 migrates some data structures. Install and start the beta,
then restart with your version 68 profile using Help >
Troubleshooting > about:profiles and pick your v68 profile, most
likely named "default". Remember, after doing that you will NOT
be able to use this profile with version 68.
o Use beta with a new profile, so you can still use v68 with your
old profile. Beta will install into it's own directory leaving
the v68 program intact. Starting the beta creates a new profile
because by default a dedicated profile is used per Thunderbird
Thereafter, when starting beta or v68 you will want to use the
so that the install uses the proper profile.
* Regardless of which choice you make, you will first want to back up
for peace of mind.
* If you have difficulty or questions use the forum at
More beta info at
* To follow along as bugs are reported during the 78 testing, CC
yourself to Bug 1644037 - Bugs found during testing and release of
* Report bug found during testing
/* /IF your report is an enhancement request or is _not_ a
regression, remove blocking bug #1644037 and regression keyword
strings before clicking submit.
* Download beta <https://www.thunderbird.net#channel>//////
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the tb-planning