[Council Meeting] Minutes from 2019-12-18

Eyal Rozenberg eyalroz at technion.ac.il
Mon Jan 27 23:00:24 UTC 2020

On 27/01/2020 17:49, Wayne Mery wrote:
> As for this set of minutes, in order:
> * Regarding hirings, the approval was an ordinary renewal of a contract,
> but in general we do not publicly share details about employees.

Well, please change that: Tell us what position and have the position
description somewhere accessible.

> * The new positions will be made public when the jobs are posted.

Please make it public once the decision is taken, through the meeting
summary. The exact details will come with the job posting.

> * Regarding EOY donations, the numbers were only preliminary because we
> were only partly through December - more information will eventually be
> available.

Ok, so say that; plus, what are those numbers? Or - at what delay will
these numbers get published?

> * Election details will be shared when they are ready to begin.

I would be fine with that if not for the overall air of secrecy. If no
decisions were made, then ok; if you made significant decisions, why not
put them in the summary?

> * The encryption discussion involves issues which cannot yet be made
> public.

What's with this assumption of privilege-of-secrecy? Unless you were
discussing a current security vulnerability (which seems not to have
been the case), I don't see why that can't be made public.

By the way - I'm not versed in the formal bylaws (if those exist), but
it's not even clear to me the council has a mandate to hide information
from the body politic which elected it. I remember the issue with
minutes/summaries being that they require effort to put down; now, a
custom of secrecy seems to have developed, and that's worrying.

yal