[Council Meeting] Minutes from 2019-12-05

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 00:40:23 UTC 2020

On 10-Jan-20 1:14 AM, Patrick Cloke wrote:

> * Ryan discussed what a paid support program might look like and how
> we could get started.
/Interesting,  how would it look?  Given the project currently has no
support forum or documentation on it's own servers it will certainly be
starting with a greenfields site. I doubt Mozilla would be amenable to
using their infrastructure for paid support. If the plan is to move
support.  Just remember the Mozilla disaster that was Lithium.  After
months everything went back to Kitsune because no one could make in app
links work without kitsune to do the localization and URL resolution.
Any move will need significant development effort and a lot of
planning.  Simply DNS changes to reroute traffic will not be possible.

Would the paid support extend to fixing the bugs that folks want fixed
so their experience can continue as it used to? Redhat style "//Our
support team works hand in hand with the best engineers in the industry
to quickly turn customer feedback into product improvements." or
something else?

Finally for support of any sort to work, including what we have now,
there has to be a mechanism that communicates major software changes to
the trenches.  In a fully formed manner,  not the 10 words that appears
in release notes without any way to dig into what the change actually
does. I find it difficult to just locate the bugs that should be
mentioned in the release notes.  So I am no longer even attempting to
write whats new articles.

Personally I think a feedback location is needed more at this time that
a new support mechanism.  Users expect to be able to tell the
organization and the developers "they suck"  I am tired of fielding them
in support.  A feedback link on the opening page would do it nicely, or
we could copy the Firefox help menu entry. But telling the developers
that not warning them all their add-ons would be disabled is not a
support issue. It is a direct result of a decision made.  Not fixing the
bug that results in add-ons not being updated long with the version
update is also a hot property with users.  Again,  not a support issue.
The support forum is full of people who have lost their profile in the
upgrade process. Profile per install is really a rolling disaster.
Users want to feed that back up the development tree.

Matt
/