Bleeding Users, Since Christmas - following borked TB Updates

Andrei Hajdukewycz sancus at thunderbird.net
Thu Jan 9 00:07:58 UTC 2020

On 1/8/2020 6:16 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On Tue Jan 07 2020 11:57:10 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Ryan Sipes
> <ryan at thunderbird.net> wrote:
>> You would be surprised Axel, 30% sounds exactly right.
>>
>> Check this out: https://stats.thunderbird.net/
> Change the date range on that to 1-6-18 to 1-6-20 so it shows a full two
> years, and it shows the exact same dip last January...
You can also click "All" and you will see the full set of time we have
data for(Aug 1 2018 and forward). It defaults to 1y because that's the
most useful cyclical period we have. Month-to-month and week-to-week
have a lot of variation. There are 3 yearly, temporary slumps:
Christmas, Easter, and August which is European Vacation Month.

Our user base is heavily business oriented so any time that people are
not working, we see dips. This is also why older versions cycle up in %
on the % adi graph during the week, and down on weekends. Business users
are slightly more likely to be using older versions, and they are a
lower proportion of users on weekends.

P.S. You can click version numbers in the legend at the bottom of the
graph on the % page to make lower % items easier to see.

In the future, I suggest looking at global stats(or at least Lightning
<https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/lightning/statistics/>,
which accounts for ~85% of users) to compare to before panicking. It's
always important to remember that any major shift over a short time
period is far more likely to be a data artifact than a real effect.