Where we're at with CardDAV

Geoff Lankow geoff at thunderbird.net
Thu Aug 27 02:04:16 UTC 2020

You may already be aware that bits and pieces of CardDAV support have
landed in various versions of Thunderbird. This is an appropriate point
for me to update you on what Thunderbird can and can't do with regards
to CardDAV.*
*

/Please note that CardDAV support is *NOT* considered ready for general
use./
**

*Status of ESR, Thunderbird 78:*

ESR shipped with the bulk of the pieces in place. Unfortunately there
wasn't time to complete the work, and so we're not publicising CardDAV
as a feature of 78.

Currently on ESR, CardDAV can connect to a server and download your
contacts, and updates you make to contacts will be sent to the server,
but there are no synchronisation abilities. The UI to create a CardDAV
address book (File – New – CardDAV Address Book in the Address Book
window) is hidden behind the preference mail.addr_book.carddav.enabled.

*Status of Beta, Thunderbird 81:*

CardDAV has the ability to do periodic and on-demand synchronisation
with the server. You can right click on an address book in the UI and
choose synchronise. Automatic synchronisation happens shortly after
Thunderbird starts, and every 30 minutes after that, but there's no
control it. The preference still exists.

If you've been trying out earlier versions of the Thunderbird CardDAV
implementation, you should remove any directories you created and
recreate them. The set-up process now does some things it didn't
previously do.

*Plan for Daily, Thunderbird 82:*

The final pieces of the initial implementation of CardDAV are in review
and are going to land any day now. When they do I'll consider this phase
complete and remove the preference.

*What's been done so far:*

The origins of Thunderbird's address book system date back to the 1990s
and they're deeply entwined with the rest of the program. They are also
not very compatible with many of the features of the vCard format, which
is used for the exchange of information between client and server.

A lot of work has gone into modernising Thunderbird's support for vCard.
What existed before was the absolute minimum of read/write capabilities
for vCard 2.1. vCard 2.1 has since been superseded by vCard 3.0 and 4.0.
I have completely replaced Thunderbird's vCard implementation with that
of ical.js <https://github.com/mozilla-comm/ical.js/>, which we ship as
part of the Thunderbird calendar. Thunderbird can now read and write
vCards in versions 3.0 and 4.0, and still (through a variety of hacks)
read vCard 2.1.

To translate vCards into objects the rest of Thunderbird understands
(nsIAbCard), without completely rewriting everything, I've created
utility functions that translate between the two formats. Not all vCard
data can be represented in the nsIAbCard format, so I've tried hard to
ensure that Thunderbird can use the most relevant information, and that
information doesn't get lost when converting back to vCard. (And yes,
for those of you who have read the CardDAV documentation, we do store
the original vCard and only modify it as necessary.)

Finally we took our base address book storage, added the CardDAV
protocol to it, and this is where we are today.

/At this point I'd like to thank the various people who have provided
access to different types of servers for testing. That's been very
helpful. Thank you./

*Can I do all of the things CardDAV is capable of, like mark an email
address as "home" or "work"?*

No. Not only is our current format incapable of handling this
information, but there is no user interface to do it with. For all
intents and purposes, at this stage, a CardDAV address book behaves just
like a normal Thunderbird address book, except that changes are relayed
to a remote server and updates are retrieved from the server.

*Will I be able to do these things in the future?*

Yes. That's the intention anyway, but I haven't got a crystal ball so
can't see what the future holds.

By next year's ESR release, we should have a new user interface for the
address book. This should be able to do many of the useful things you
can do in other address book software, but it will require a lot more
work in the background.

*Can I use this to connect to my Google contacts?*

Not at this stage. As per usual, Google have to be different, and they
use OAuth instead of standard HTTP authorisation. The code is written,
but we're waiting on Google to allow us to ask you for permission to
access your contacts.

*How does this affect WebExtensions?*

To WebExtensions, a CardDAV address book appears the same as a regular
address book, and no modifications are necessary at this point. In the
future there may be some additional API functions available, and we'll
try to do this in a backwards-compatible way.

*Where do I report bugs?*

Please use the Mailnews Core – Address Book
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=MailNews+Core&component=Address+Book>
component to report bugs, unless the bug is in the UI, in which case use
Thunderbird – Address Book
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Thunderbird&component=Address+Book>.
Please provide as much information as you can, including the version of
Thunderbird you see the problem in, any applicable error messages, and
if it's relevant, the server software you're connecting to.

The Network Inspector tool (Tools – Developer Tools – Developer Toolbox,
then choose Network) is very useful for debugging problems. If the
server reports an error message and Thunderbird fails to handle it
appropriately, please file a bug.