Virtual Summit 2020 Talks and Times

Ryan Sipes ryan at thunderbird.net
Tue Apr 28 17:55:03 UTC 2020

Hello all,

Sorry for the radio silence on the Virtual Summit. After conversations
with presenters around times and dates it seems that the consensus was
having a more spread out Summit where people could tune in over a longer
period and have more time to digest the content was better. Also, I
decided to forgo the Doodle polls as presenter availability was more
limited for some than I anticipated. There is still one talk time TBA
(as you'll see below). I will post updates to times to this thread if
things change.

All talks will be recorded and posted to LBRY and YouTube, so if you
miss a talk don't worry. The schedule is posted on this page of the wiki
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/2020_Virtual_Summit> (as well as
below) - and the links to the videos after the talks will be posted to
that page after the talk is done.

The talks will take place in Zoom, in the status meeting room
<https://mozilla.zoom.us/j/549511776>.

So, here is our list of talks and times:

    *Thunderbird in 2020*

Type: Presentation

Host/Speaker: Ryan Sipes [:ryanleesipes] <mailto:ryan at thunderbird.net>

This presentation covers the changes Thunderbird underwent in 2019 and
early 2020 as an organization, and our plans to make 2020 the best year
for Thunderbird yet.

*Date/Time: May 5, 17:00 UTC*

    *Taking care of the tree*

Type: Presentation & Discussion

Host/Speaker: Magnus Melin [:mkmelin] <mailto:mkmelin at thunderbird.net>?

Short presentation of how Treeherder works, how to star failures, file
bugs and such.

*Date/Time: May 7, 13:00 UTC*

    *Hey, we got designers!*

Type: Presentation & Discussion

Host/Speaker: Alessandro Castellani [:aleca]
<mailto:alessandro at thunderbird.net>

How we're working towards a consistent visual identity and improving
usability through design iterations, and how we're trying to do it
without upsetting you too much.

*Date/Time: May 12, 17:00 UTC*

    *How to begin with Thunderbird Development: A guide for University
    students and Junior Developers*

Type: Presentation & Discussion

Host/Speaker: Khushil Mistry [:khushil324] <mailto:khushil at thunderbird.net>

This presentation and discussion would cover my journey as a GSoC
student and Thunderbird Intern. I will talk about the difficulties I
faced and how university students and junior developers can start their
contribution with Thunderbird.

*Date/Time: May 14, 16:00 UTC*

    *Why we might want to start type checking our JavaScript and how
    that could even work*

Type: Presentation & Discussion

Host/Speaker: Paul Morris [:pmorris] <mailto:paul at thunderbird.net>

JavaScript is a dynamically typed language, but now TypeScript
<https://www.typescriptlang.org/>'s tooling can be used to statically
type check plain vanilla JavaScript files
<https://www.typescriptlang.org/docs/handbook/type-checking-javascript-files.html>
(with some help from JSDoc <https://jsdoc.app/>). Type checking offers
various benefits that include catching certain classes of bugs sooner
(before they get to users) and making code easier to understand. Tools
like ESLint and Prettier have improved Thunderbird's JavaScript code and
developer experience. Would type checking be a good next step and how
might that work?

*Date/Time: May 19, 17:00 UTC*

    *Developing integrated OpenPGP support*

Type: Presentation & Discussion

Host/Speaker: Kai Engert [:kaie] <mailto:kaie at kuix.de>

An update will be given on the progress of the ongoing effort to add
integrated OpenPGP support to Thunderbird, about the work that is still
ahead of us, and we'll discuss your questions.

*Date/Time: (TBA)*

    *The importance of white space, a UI experiment*

Type: Presentation & Discussion

Host/Speaker: Alessandro Castellani [:aleca]
<mailto:alessandro at thunderbird.net>

A little journey on how we can drastically improve the usability of
Thunderbird by carefully implementing empty spaces.

*Date/Time: May 26, 17:00 UTC*

    *Thunderbird 78 Overview*

Type: Presentation & Discussion

Host/Speaker: Magnus Melin [:mkmelin] <mailto:mkmelin at thunderbird.net>

Thunderbird 78 is coming up in mid 2020. Overview of what we can expect
to see in that.

*Date/Time: May 28, 13:00 UTC*

    *How to Improve Thunderbird Documentation*

Type: Discussion

Host/Speaker: Ryan Sipes [:ryanleesipes] <mailto:ryan at thunderbird.net>

This discussion would cover how we might improve developer and
enterprise user documentation. Would also like to touch on how to make
the developer documentation easier to find for new contributors.

*Date/Time: May 28, 17:00 UTC*

---

If you have an feedback or wanted to submit your own talk or discussion
item - please ping me and I will do my best to accommodate. This is our
first of this type of event since I've been on the team so I am sure
there is much that we will learn along the way.

Ryan