Thunderbird suggestion box

Eric Moore emoore at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 27 20:58:41 UTC 2020

Voting on features is necessary, but it's inherently risky. I worry
about it turning from a very coarse indication of how much interest
there is to a small group of users who feel strongly about a feature
having too much impact because they're being pro-active (and potentially
organized). Its also not clear why it would work any better than voting
in Bugzilla (which seems a failure)

One thing most of the suggestion boxes appear to lack is a good way to
bunch or merge related suggestions together. I think getting a
discussion about the relative merits of several related suggestions can
be far more useful than seeing how many votes a specific suggestion got,
or getting more details for a specific suggestion. People frequently ask
in the support forums how to do something that doesn't appear to be
supported by Thunderbird. Frequently as you discuss various ways to
solve their problem they get a better idea of what they "really" want.
This sometimes can be quite different from what they originally asked
because there is a tendency to ask how to implement what they think is
the solution, rather than ask how to solve their real problem. They also
might not have been exposed to some better alternatives.

I suggest a couple dozen feature requests from Bugzilla get ported to
the suggestion box as a yeast starter. Include a link to the relevant
bug report(s). One reason to do that is users are used to feature
requests getting ignored or triaged. Why should users believe anything
is going to be different this time if we completely start from scratch?

A discussion about what type of suggestion box software to use should
include how are you going to change the process to make better use of
the input. Otherwise its just blaming the tool.

One potential problem is that Thunderbird seems to have numerous half
finished (just good enough to ship, and then forgotten about) features,
such as the phishing detection. How are we going to avoid repeating that
experience?

Before deciding on a suggestion box perhaps the community manager could
create a TopicBox group dedicated to getting more feedback/input on
about two dozen topics (such as what do you want in a built-in editor,
how can we improve managing what font/fonts size is used, what sort of
views would be useful ...). To prevent it from becoming the defacto
suggestion box I suggest only the community manager be able to create
threads in that group. Announce it in the official blog, and provide a
link to that announcement in the Thunderbird start page and near the
bottom of Thunderbird Help. State this is a pilot project which might
get replaced later on by a separate suggestion box system. People could
email the community manager to suggest other topics.

Based on what is learned from that over a couple of months we might be
able to get a better handle on what sort of suggestion box we need and
how to make better use of it.