[Council Meeting] Minutes from 2020-03-12

Mallory Knodel mknodel at cdt.org
Mon Apr 20 14:10:44 UTC 2020

Hi all,

This is the first time I'm posting to this list, so let me intro myself
extremely briefly: I'm the CTO at the Center for Democracy and Technology
and I've participated in the IETF for a while; am the co-chair of an IRTF
research group on human rights and protocol considerations.

I'm also following calext wg in the IETF by email and I attend their
sessions when they have them, and perhaps some of you here are as well --
I'm not super great with names when I haven't matched them to a face. The
IETF is a good place to work on this standard of course, but more
importantly to this conversation could be a place to speak with
implementers like Google to ask that they follow spec, or understand better
why they don't.

My 2c,
-Mallory

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 9:26 AM Philipp Kewisch <kewisch at thunderbird.net>
wrote:

> There is an opportunity to talk to other members of CalConnect, especially
> during the events. Supporting tasks via CalDAV is definitely something that
> has come up in the past (I've been an individual member in the time leading
> to this). We can certainly continue to show the benefits of standards, but
> there is of course only so much we can do to persuade them to prioritize
> that specific feature. Let's start with a few lighter discussions first,
> I'm sure it can be brought up as a sidebar during one of the events.
>
> Philipp
>
> On 4/20/20 12:12 PM, neandr wrote:
>
> We all know Goggle goes its "own" way for defining and working with tasks.
> This makes the exchange impossible with solutions following the industry
> standards. These are only as good as the market participants accept and
> support them.
> How works CalConnect for a Google move? Can TB/Mozilla contribute here?
>

> Am 20.04.20 um 08:29 schrieb Philipp Kewisch:
>
> No worries Matt, thanks for bringing it up. Let us know if there are other
> areas we should push for.
>
> Philipp
>
> On 19. Apr 2020, at 4:38 PM, Matt Harris <unicorn.consulting at gmail.com>
> <unicorn.consulting at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  True, I had assumed the limitation was caldav not google. My apologies
> for the noise.
>
> On 19-Apr-20 6:14 PM, John Bieling wrote:
>
> I assume he refers to the fact, that lightning cannot display tasks of
> google users, if they use caldav. But that is of course a limitation of
> google, not of the CalDAV Standard.
>
> John
>
> Am 19.04.2020 um 10:25 schrieb Philipp Kewisch <kewisch at thunderbird.net>
> <kewisch at thunderbird.net>:
>

> Hi Matt,
>
> could you clarify what you mean? Tasks can already be stored in caldav
> from a standards perspective. Maybe there is a specific tasks feature you
> are missing?
>
> Philipp
>
> On 19. Apr 2020, at 5:40 AM, Matt Harris <unicorn.consulting at gmail.com>
> <unicorn.consulting at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  I would hope we will be behind a move to standardize tasks into the
> caldav spec.
>
> Matt
> On 17-Apr-20 8:02 PM, Magnus Melin wrote:
>
> I guess more of the latter, and more specific things to push for would
> come in the future.
>
>  -Magnus
>
> On 2020-04-16 22:20, Eyal Rozenberg wrote:
>

> Do we have specific things we want to push within CalConnect, or is it
> more of us exhibiting civic virtue (which is a valid thing to do)?
>
> On 16/04/2020 14:20, Magnus Melin wrote:
>
> Hey, the practical implications of the membership are - if I may summarize
> - that you get a place at the table when standardization around calendaring
> is discussed and standards in that area developed. See
>
>   * https://www.calconnect.org/membership/why-join
> [...]

Mallory Knodel
CTO, Center for Democracy and Technology
gpg fingerprint :: E3EB 63E0 65A3 B240 BCD9 B071 0C32 A271 BD3C C780