Thunderbird 2020 elections update

Wayne vseerror at lehigh.edu
Mon Apr 20 16:22:29 UTC 2020

On 4/20/20 11:59 AM, alta88 wrote:

> On 15/04/2020 15.45, Wayne Mery wrote:
>>
>> To: Thunderbird Community
>>
>> It is now April and normally our elections process would be well
>> under way.  So we want to give you an update of our status.
>>
>> Much of the council work involves sensitive financial and personnel
>> matters, and also working with confidential information which flows
>> through Mozilla, all of which require a Mozilla NDA. Therefore, it
>> has been approved by the council that electors who stand for election
>> to the next council term shall commit to signing an NDA at the time
>> they agree to stand for election.
>>
> Are you saying privileged information will be imparted to potential
> electors prior to their actual election or non election? Because if
> not, then this makes no sense at all. It is fine to communicate the
> requirement of signing an NDA as a condition of taking a council seat,
> if elected. Or are you worried someone will be elected and refuse to
> sign an NDA? Seems farfetched.

Perhaps I didn't state this completely clearly.  There is no privileged
information to be provided during the election. Yes, the requirement is
that someone who agrees to be placed on the election ballot and voted
it, shall commit to signing the NDA as a precondition prior to the
vote.  The reason for this language is because will be quite awkward and
disruptive, will it not, if someone is elected and then doesn't then
sign the NDA - we'd then need to hold elections again just for that
person's position.