Thunderbird 2020 elections update

alta88 alta88 at fixall.com
Mon Apr 20 15:59:30 UTC 2020

On 15/04/2020 15.45, Wayne Mery wrote:

> To: Thunderbird Community
>
> It is now April and normally our elections process would be well under
> way.  So we want to give you an update of our status.
>
> Much of the council work involves sensitive financial and personnel
> matters, and also working with confidential information which flows
> through Mozilla, all of which require a Mozilla NDA. Therefore, it has
> been approved by the council that electors who stand for election to
> the next council term shall commit to signing an NDA at the time they
> agree to stand for election.

Are you saying privileged information will be imparted to potential
electors prior to their actual election or non election? Because if not,
then this makes no sense at all. It is fine to communicate the
requirement of signing an NDA as a condition of taking a council seat,
if elected. Or are you worried someone will be elected and refuse to
sign an NDA? Seems farfetched.

Delays for dubious reasons, noises about extending terms[1] and pruning
the electorate send a signal of organizational attempts at entrenchment.
I fully expect you to tell me I am wrong about this signal.

[1] Claiming 'business continuity' as a reason would have to mean there
is actual success and tangible achievement in business development,
partnerships, major donor recruitment. There has been literally nothing
in this area communicated, well, ever.