[Council Meeting] Meeting minutes from 2019-09-19

Eyal Rozenberg eyalroz at technion.ac.il
Sat Sep 28 14:31:00 UTC 2019

As I've previously commented - please add more information to the
minutes, to make them less cryptic and more accessible to people who
weren't participating or are just reading this list. Specifically, and
using these minutes as an example:

On 26/09/2019 16:43, ba wrote:
> 1.Hiring/Personnel**
>
>   * Benjamin Flanagin resigned.

1. This should be appended with a link to his personal page on the
project web page, so we can remind ourselves of what his position was.
2. Resigned with no reason given? ... maybe not the extreme specifics,
but - personal reasons? Professional disagreements? Some specific
triggering event?

>     Most of his tasks other than triage will
>     be passed on to other staff. We will hire a staff member to work on
>     bug triage after all the other more urgent positions have been
>     filled.

1. Looking at the website, under "Get Involved" - I don't see any list
of open positions.
2. Even if parallelization of hiring efforts is impractical, you can at
least post about the opening of the position.
3. What size position is this (% FTE or hours/week)?

 > We wish Benjamin all the best in his future endeavors.
>   * Members discussed the need to put in place a policy for personnel
>     issues such as raises, benefits, etc.

as opposed to what happens now, which is... ?

>   * Magnus brought up the need for travel budget.

as opposed to what happens now, which is... no refunds for travel?
Case-by-case?

> 2.Governance
>
>   * TB Bylaws

which already exist? Which are to be created for the first time?

>       o Berna is working on incorporating all the feedback obtained from
>         other council members.

Are these only supposed to apply to council members?

> 3.Legal
>
>   * Thunderbird Telemetry and the legal requirements
>       o Wayne is working on a new broader TB Privacy Policy.

What is the current state of affairs? Or at least - in what council
session was the current state of affairs w.r.t. telemetry surveyed?

> 4.Miscellaneous
>
>   * Strategy
>       o Ongoing – Ryan has collected the feedback from the Council
>         members and ironed out the costs.

Essentially impossible to understand what this sentence means unless you
were at the meeting. Strategy for what? Feedback on what? Costs of what?

>   * Global Staffing Solutions
>       o Members hashed over workable options to hire staff and
>         subcontractors within Europe.

1. Is it currently not possible to hire within Europe?
2. Does the project/council have contractors, which then have
subcontractors?

>   * GData
>       o Council members discussed GData migration from the C-C tree to
>         GitHub.

What is GData? C-C is the Comm Central source tree, right? That should
be spelled out. What exactly will be put on GitHub?

> *Council Member Updates:*
>
>   * Philipp is in email discussion with new potential partners.

Partners in what?