Thunderbird de-xbl effort finished!

Jörg Knobloch jorgk at jorgk.com
Sun Sep 22 08:34:10 UTC 2019

On 19 Sep 2019 11:04, Magnus Melin wrote:

> As you may know, for the past year the Thunderbird team has put a lot
> of work into migrating away from the Mozilla proprietary XBL
> technology, and as of today, I'm happy to announce we're now XBL free!
>
> Thanks, and congrats to everybody who participated in this effort!
> Especially Khushil Mistry, Paul Morris, and Alessandro Castellani each
> converted many bindings. Also a big thanks to the mozilla-central
> de-XBL team whose background work made this possible.

I think you cheered too early. While it is true that comm-central's XBL
bindings have all been removed, comm-central code is still relying on
XBL bindings from mozilla-central, most prominently, the textbox. So
de-XBL effort is *not* finished yet.

https://searchfox.org/comm-central/search?q=binding+id%3D&case=false&regexp=false&path=toolkit

We can also expect bustages when M-C migrates their last remaining
bindings to custom elements.

Jörg.