[Council Meeting] Meeting notes from 2019-08-22

Wayne Mery vseerror at lehigh.edu
Thu Sep 19 17:55:42 UTC 2019

I've been on many boards and I can tell you that most operate on this
standard.

There is of course downside to having just 4 members constitute a
quorum. But

a) there's nothing  to prevent members exercising common courtesy in
delaying votes on exceptionally big issues to a day where most/more
members are available to vote - if time allows
b) on big issues, we have often already discussed the ramifications and
each member made their POV known, which allows for influencing the votes
of other members
c) we are an international group across several time zones -with that
complication and our personal lives, if the number was increased to say
5 or 6 members, then we'd not be able to vote and act at many of our
meetings.   That said, you can see by our minutes that we often have 5-6
members per meeting

As for this August meeting where only four were present we expect that
during summer (and various holiday period), and points a and b above are
relevant.